The Highlands and the region of Fjallabak are famous for trekking, and victims of their success. Here we offer a different trek, off the beaten track to discover unique landscapes and silence. We will cross black deserts, recent lava flows, many rivers, sometimes hot, fields of solfatares where the earth is muddy… and the multicolored mountains of rhyolite.
The itinerary is indicative, each year we seek the best way to explore this region and the weather conditions may require us to modify the itinerary. The average duration of the walks varies every day from 5 to 8 hours
D1: Reykjavik-Landmannahellir: 22Kms/6H/+400-400M
Your guide picks you up at Reykjavik bus station at 7:30 am for the Fjallabak area (2h transfer). Start of the hike at the foot of the Hekla volcano. Crossing an eruptive fault and passing next to crater lakes before reaching our refuge.
D2: Landmannahellir - Landmannalaugar: 16 Kms / 6H / + 400-400
We reach the well-known region of Landmannalaugar with its river of hot water (bath possible to end the day), between lava flow and obsidian .... On the way we will pass again near very beautiful crater lakes. Arrival in the Laugahraun flow and walk in Grænagil, the green valley.
D3: Landamannahellir-Dalakofinn: 20 Kms / 7H / + 800-300
We climb on the Hrafntinnusker plateau by joining the Höfdavatn lake. We will cross many areas of solfatares on the way. We will arrive in the smoke valley of Reykjadalir and at the source of the famous Markarfljot river. Our refuge overlooks the valley, an incredible place at the foot of the Laufafell mountain.
D4: Dalakofinn-Hvanngil: 22 Kms / 7H / + 200-500
We leave the refuge located at the foot of the Markarfljot river, which is always tricky to cross. We follow the great mountain of Laufafell with these magnificent gorges to reach Alfavatn, the swan lake and its superb set of mirrors, and our refuge a little further.
D5: Hvanngil-Strutur: 15 Kms / 6H / + 500-500
Change of landscape and atmosphere today with the crossing of the Maelifellssandur desert, black and gray atmosphere with many ramifications of rivers, all bordered by the Myrdalsjökull glacier. Arrival at the refuge at the foot of the mountain of Strutur. The view of Maelifell is dazzling.
D6: Around Strutur: 20 Kms/7H/+700-700
Loop hike around the refuge, several options: to Raudubotnar, along the Holmsa river, explore the valleys at the foot of the Torfajokull glacier.
D7: Eldgja: 12 kms/4H/+200-400
We reach the Eldgja fault which we follow to our bus. Along the way, we will stop to admire the Skogafoss waterfall and the beautiful Reynisfjara beach. Arrival around 6-7 p.m. in Reykjavik and end of our tour "Fjallabak off the beaten track - Iceland"
Departure on the:
13th of july
- Luggage: we ask participants to take only a maximum of 12-15 kg of luggage for the trek preferably a large flexible bag and not a rigid suitcase and a smaller backpack for the day's hike. It is possible to leave things in Reykjavik for those who extend their stay.
- For the conviviality of the group, but nothing compulsory, we recommend that everyone bring a small specialty from their region (cookies, cheese, wine ...).
- Participation: The members of the trip are supposed to lend a helping hand and help the guide for the preparation of meals and dishes at the accommodation.
The price includes:
- Accommodation: Refuges (excellent qualities) or tent camping with comfortable mattresses if refuge not available (rare).
- Transfers: by private 4 × 4 mini bus.
- Food: vegetarian-style cuisine based on quality, tasty organic products. Tell us about any special diet or allergy
- loan of tents
The price does not include:
- travel insurance